Instructor-made video of feedback with some editing
- The student made a video of a learned skill with their smartphone
- The Instructor and the student watched the video together so the instructor could give the student feedback
- The Instructor made a video of the feedback so the student can review it again later
- The editing includes breakouts
- The Instructor pauses the video so they can “breakout” to reference other material
For instructions on how to do it click here.
Digital Citizenship – Ethics and Privacy:
- All participants gave permission to be recorded in the video
For more information on digital citizenship click here.
Thank you to Rose Shadman (Engineering student, York University) and Dr. James Andrew Smith (Associate Professor in Engineering, York University) for giving permission to show their video as an example.
Zoom is a video conferencing tool available to York University Faculty. Faculty can get a standard account at York Universit by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
Information and resources about Zoom are available here: https://yorku.zoom.us/
- Start an instant zoom meeting and share my screen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLKpRxBfeD1kEM_I1lId3N_Xl77fKDzSXe&time_continue=11&v=-KnaWV_FT8I
- OR join a zoom meeting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=vFhAEoCF7jg
- OR schedule a meeting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=vFhAEoCF7jg
- Configure audio and video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=HqncX7RE0wM
- Record a conference call: See “Screen Recording” FAQ
Google Hangouts is a video conferencing tool available for free from Google.
- Open an account. To use Google Hangouts, you need to make a google account. Click the link to learn more https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/27441?hl=en
- Start a Hangout: https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3115553?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
- OR start a video call: https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3110347?hl=en&ref_topic=6386410
- OR start a group conversation: https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3111943?hl=en&ref_topic=6386410
- Invite others to join my call: https://support.google.com/a/answer/6097610?hl=en
Skype is a free video calling interface.
- Set up an account: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12413/how-do-i-create-a-new-account-for-skype
- Schedule a call: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34876/how-do-i-schedule-a-call-in-skype
- OR answer a Skype call: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34859/how-do-i-answer-a-skype-call
- OR set up a group chat: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34799/how-do-i-create-a-group-chat-in-skype-on-desktop
- Screenshare: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34895/screen-sharing-in-skype
Discord is a free app for group chats and calls.
- Start a call on Discord: https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/223657667-Group-Chat-and-Calls
Moodle can help facilitate class discussions and feedback online. Some suggestions to do so are listed below:
- Create a Forum in Moodle: https://moodle.info.yorku.ca/student_resources/students/documentation/using_forums/
- Use the survey/questionnaire (see polling FAQ)
- Blog in moodle.
- Create groups for students to respond to a particular video. Groups in moodle – https://docs.moodle.org/37/en/Groups